Dearest Family and Friends,
I was in bed tonight after talking with Brandon and my Dad, and I haven't been able to turn my brain off for the night. I finally decided to get up and write some things down and explain a few things to all of you.
A few days ago I posted/emailed to all of you a thought I had, a story I had about McCoy. If you haven't read it check out the post below this one or check your email. I want to explain this first part to you. I was just sitting down checking out some of my blog the other day when the thought came into my head to start a post. Before I registered the thought in my head, I really had already started typing the story of McCoy and his diagnosis of Kabuki Syndrome. To be honest I didn't know nor do I know now where it all came from, but the thought was NOT about me, it was NOT for me. The thought in my heart and in my head was telling me that someone needed to hear what I wrote. Someone was struggling with something and they needed to hear that they could make it through. I posted it on my blog to start with and once that was done the thought continued by telling me that it wasn't enough. I automatically got on my email and sent it out to more people. Finally, I was at peace with where it went. Then I re-read my post on my blog and thought, "What in the world did I just write?" I can't deny, no, I will not deny that I was supposed to write that. I don't want anyone to feel sorry for us. I don't want anyone thinking that I think our struggle is more than anyone elses because I know there are worse things. A LOT more worse. A LOT more different. I just wanted someone to know they were going to make it through. I don't know nor do I think I will ever know who it was for and that is okay. Now I want to share another thought that stems from this first part. I said it had NOTHING to do with me, but in a way, I am wrong. I figured that out tonight at about 1:30 am. That story is so close to my heart that it has to be part of me, it has to do with something about me.
Let me start another story. Two days ago we, Brandon and I, had what is called an IEP meeting for McCoy. Basically in this meeting we met with 8 other people and discussed McCoy's transition into pre-school. It is a process from sort of graduating from the Early Intervention Program into the pre-school program. McCoy will be turning 3 on Nov. 8th and so we set up testing for him to see if he qualified for special services needed for pre-school. There were two testers present and lets just say they were floored by McCoy. They kept saying what a pleasant boy McCoy was and that he was doing so well. This was a few weeks ago. Then for the IEP meeting we discussed the outcome and scores of the testing in order to place McCoy into a pre-school setting that best benefits him. While my Mom watched the kids, Brandon and I attended the meeting. We couldn't be more happy with what took place there. Those 8 people cared about McCoy so much already. Some only had met him once. The meeting took almost 2 hours and during that time not one negative thing was said. They discussed McCoy's hearing loss qualifing him for services and went over test scores with us. It was then that the testers really told us how surprised they were with McCoy, that he was an excellent canidate for pre-school and prime to start learning. We were so glad to hear that McCoy would be attending a classroom that I had previously toured and loved for him. We weren't sure that this was going to work out because it is a rare program. The classroom is combined with community kids (who pay for pre-school) and kids with hearing disabilities. There are two pre-school teachers and one is specially qualified with speech therapy for children with hearing loss. She works with the kids with hearing difficulties one on one each day. Lets just say that it is amazing and both teachers are wonderful. It is just hard to get in if you wait too long. After we found out that McCoy would be placed in this classroom we found out that this was pretty rare. This district is the only one in Utah to combine community kids and kids with hearing difficulties together so far. They are working on others right now. How amazing is that? That we moved into this area 5 years ago before McCoy was even born. On our way home and since that time Brandon I have talked about this meeting with eachother and to other family members and as I talk about it I have realized something. "Realized," doesn't seem to be the right word. My thoughts as we were driving home and that I shared with Brandon were:
1) McCoy doesn't physically resemble either Brandon or I in very many ways. His eye color resembles mine and he will be skinny like his Dad. A lot of Coy's physical looks are how the specialist diagnosed McCoy with Kabuki syndrome. I won't go into details. I just realized and told Brandon that for not resembling us physically so much, I think internally he is a match with us. He has Brandon's attributes like his endurance, being stress free, quite, thoughtful, and stubborn combined with my attitude, (I am not bragging) but it takes a lot to get me down, to not make me smile or laugh, it is an attitude of being positive I guess. Those are all overflowing in McCoy. Tonight as I talked with my Dad I realized that McCoy is ours, he is our match for a reason. There are not two better people suited for him, for his life here. I have doubted this lots of times before. I have questioned this before. But I see him everyday and I see and know our match was perfect. Heavenly Father and our little boy got together and made this amazing decision knowing that for us. I know this is true for all our kids, for all our babies. Again, how amazing? What a blessing and responsibility we have.
2) McCoy has always done well with other kids around him. He seems to blossom when he has been around his cousins, Adie, Aliza, Hudson, and Remy. This has become more concrete since Paisley was born. We have found that the girls in the family are the big talkers early on and Paisley seems to be following in that line as well. She just turned 1 and already is saying and mimicking a lot of words. It wasn't me that had this thought but it was my Dad who brought it home to me tonight. Brandon and I always wondered why the decision to have Paisley was so fast, so easy. When I found out I was pregnant I remember us thinking a few times, "What were we thinking?" It became apparent to me tonight that McCoy needs Paisley and she needs him. He has had his hearing aides for a year now, so basically he has been hearing for a year just like Pais. He is going to progress and needs her help, in turn she will be learning so much more from him as well. Now that Paisley is walking she wants to follow McCoy anywhere he goes. He is beginning to realize this is not convient all the time. It isn't perfect, as I am sure any parent with 2 or more kids can vouch for, but there is strength in their numbers don't you think?
I think there is a scripute in the Bible and a song as well that talks about everything having a season and a purpose under heaven. That rings true in my heart this morning. Maybe it took a review of the past a few days ago to realize what a beautiful present and future we have infront of us.
I will close for now because those were the main thoughts in my head and I need some sleep. Our life isn't perfect, but I am so very thankful for it. Honestly, I wouldn't change one single second of it. Someone once asked me, "If I could go back and change one thing in my life what would it be?" It actually wasn't hard to answer. "I wouldn't change one single thing. Even the worse trial, embarassing moment, happiest time. We learn by mistakes. We grow from each experience. I wouldn't change it." My answer now is still the same. Thanks for reading and being part of this.
Love, Norine
Saturday, October 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment