Sunday, May 10, 2009

Norine's Comeback



So after 8 years I decided that it was time to try to get into shape again. I have been working out at a gym for about 2 months now. It has been nice to get away and just focus on lifting or running. I have really enjoyed it. While I was working out one day I noticed a sign that announced that there was going to be a 5K run/walk down in Salt Lake City. It was for Susan B. Comen Breast Cancer Awareness. I got a crazy hair and thought I would make it a goal to at least jog the whole 5K and get in done in 40 minutes at the most. I decided to recruit my marathoner husband to help with some of the training and getting ready. He signed up with me and we ran last Saturday. Of course Brandon ran it in about 23-24 minutes and was awesome. I was about to reach both my goals as well. I ran the whole time and my time was 37 minutes 23 seconds (according to Brandon's watch.) I was pretty happy with myself. There was over 18,000 people there! It was crazy. It was awesome to see so many people running for the same idea. The registration fee was $25 per person, so you can imagine the money they raised for research. While we were waiting at the starting line Brandon asked me when the last time I ran a 5K was. I thought about it and the last time I RAN a whole 5K was when I was a senior in high school, about 8 years ago! So he stated that this race was my comeback. I must say that I really enjoyed it. I am planning on running another 5K in July. I will let you know how it goes. I would like to thank my Mom who has always believed in me, my Dad for teaching me never to quit, my kids for their love, Hollie and Travis for being my siblings, and thanks to Brandon for his help and encouragement. (There is my comeback speech)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Good job Norine, you even beat your goal that is awesome! I will have to run the on in July with you! I have to agree with you, that flower is really cute! I also got a good laugh about the picture of McCoy in the basket! Funny boy! I can't wait to see you guys! Love you Jo

Lynette and Brad said...

And don't forget "thanks" to Brandon's mom for tending the kids so you could run the great race!! :) I'm proud of you both!! I'm proud of you all!! Love you!
Mom

Dave and Hejdi Swan said...

Woo Hoo!! Way to go!! Isn't it SO fun to feel the excitement on race day again? You will be doin 1/2 marathons in no time. The Ogden 1/2 is the prettiest course I've ran in Utah! Seriously, it's amazing. I'm totally bummed I can't this year(although a baby is worth it ;))But you guys should run it with us next May!!!

Rebekah said...

Yay! Another runner in the family :) Good job on your comeback run. I'm excited for the Fun Run in Enterprise on the 24th of July.

fingerfoodforthought.wordpress.com said...

Woohoo! Good job! I think July will be my "comeback" - I just ran a 5K last summer but haven't done much exercise at all since then, so hopefully I won't die.

Love you guys!

Jenn said...

Good job!! I love to do a 5k - just long enough that you are proud of yourself, and not so long that you think you might die!! We do one down here in Draper on Thanksgiving "the human race" it is a good one too...I wanted to do the Breast Cancer one, but my little one had only been home for a couple of weeks and I wasn't ready to leave him (not to mention the fact that I haven't been to the gym in months) - next time. Way to go for you though!!